Ingredients (makes 12 cupcakes):
- 125g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- Vanilla Essence or 1 vanilla pod (seeds removed from the pod and added to the mixture) or
Finely grated zest 1/2 large lemon (keeping the zest of the remaining half for the lemon icing)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 150g plain flour
- 1/4tsp baking powder
- 75g butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar, sifted
This is a rough guide as I find I have to play around with the consistency, usually I double/ triple the amount of icing sugar.
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/gas 4. Line a 12-hole cake tin with 12 paper cases. Cream the butter in a large bowl or in a food mixer until soft. Add the sugar and vanilla and mix until the mixture if light, creamy and fluffy.
2. Gradually add the beaten eggs, then sift in the flour and baking powder and fold into the mixture. Alternatively, whizz all the ingredients together in a food mixer.
3. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and bake for 7-10 minutes, until risen and golden. When cooked, the top of each cake should be slightly springy to the touch. Remove from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool before you ice them.
4. To make the icing, cream the butter in a bowl with a wooden spoon or hand-held electric beater until soft. Add the icing sugar and beat into the butter depending on the consistency of the mixture you may need to add more icing sugar. Add flavouring or colour at this point.
5) Pipe or spread the icing sugar over the cupcakes once they have cooled and decorate with sprinkles, crystallised petals or sweets.